… Just in time for the holidays.
1 ½ packages Mori-nu lite tofu (extra firm)
2 cups canned or cooked pumpkin
2/3 cup Honey or Agave Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice OR
1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
¾ tsp Ginger
¼ tsp Nutmeg
¼ tsp Cloves
– Blend tofu in a food processor until smooth.
– Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
– Pour into the piecrust.
– Bake for approximately one hour; it will firm up as it cooks.
There are many ways to make a gluten free pie crust. Often substituting a gluten free flour mix for regular flour works fairly well if you watch the liquid content. Here are two for you to choose from.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
½ cup organic butter or coconut oil
½ cup gluten-free oats
2 tbsp agave syrup
½ cup nuts (your choosing)
¾ cup gluten-free flour (a mix, brown or white rice, sorghum, coconut flour…)
– Melt the butter or coconut oil.
– Stir in the rest of the ingredients and press into a pie pan.
– Bake at 400°F for 12- 15 minutes.
– Adding ½ tsp of cinnamon and cardamom each adds a nice touch.
Cookie Pie Crust
This version is quite simple, chose your favorite gluten-free cookie (vanilla, chocolate, molasses…) crush them into fine crumbs.
– Stir in 1 tsp of water and melted coconut oil each and mix well. Add water or oil in tsp amounts until you reach a slightly moistened consistency.
– Press mixture into pie pan.
– Bake at 400°F for 7-10 minutes; make sure it does not burn.
By Marsha Hamilton