January is Thyroid Awareness Month! Understanding the health of your thyroid is simple, all that you need to do is get your thyroid levels checked and evaluated. Knowing the condition of your thyroid can help prevent other health difficulties like heart problems, infertility, chronic exhaustion, goiter, and Grave’s disease. So, it’s important to keep tabs on your thyroid health.
When we check your levels of thyroid stimulating hormones, we are looking for two conditions: hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Both of these conditions are generally treatable and can even often be prevented.
What is hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid. Your thyroid produces many essential hormones that regulate metabolic rate, heart function, digestion, muscle control, brain development and bone maintenance. When the thyroid isn’t producing enough of the hormones needed to regulate so much of the body’s function, significant problems can result.
The early warning signs of an underactive thyroid are:
- Weight gain/difficulty losing weight
- Dry skin and hair
- Cold sensitivity
- Elevated cholesterol levels/slowed heart rate
- Painful, stiff, or swollen joints
- Muscle weakness, aches, tenderness, or stiffness
- Poor memory
- Irregular or heavy menstrual cycle
- Puffy face
If you have several or even one of the above symptoms, it’s essential to get your thyroid checked. You can do so right here at Flow Natural Health Care.
Holistic solutions for hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism can be caused by inflammation, improper diet, genetics, medication, stress, an inactive lifestyle and more. However, the most common cause of hypothyroidism is inflammation. Because of this, there are a few ways this condition can be treated holistically. These include:
- Increase your levels of omega 3s.
- Eat foods that are naturally high in iodine like seaweed.
- Enjoy probiotic-rich foods like kefir, yogurt, kimchi, kombucha, and sauerkraut.
- Increase your water intake.
- Try adding more high fiber foods to your diet like fresh veggies, seeds, berries, and legumes.
- Include bone broth in your next homemade soup, or just sip it by itself.
- Add lots of fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Cut out diet, foods with gluten, sugar, and cow’s milk dairy products.
There are also herbs and other supplements that can assist in treating hypothyroidism holistically.
Finally, it’s a good idea to try relaxation and stress-relief methods like yoga, meditation or nature walks as this condition can be triggered by stress.
What is hyperthyroidism?
Just as hypothyroidism indicates an underactive thyroid, hyperthyroidism tells you that your thyroid is overactive. The most common type of hyperthyroidism is an autoimmune disorder called Grave’s disease. However, it can also be caused by inflammation of the thyroid, a lump in the thyroid called a nodular goiter or some medications.
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Excessive hunger
- Weight loss
- Irregular or light menstruation
- Puffy eyes
- Hair loss
- Muscle weakness or tremors
- Abnormal heartbeat or palpitations
- Mood swings or panic attacks
- Heat intolerance or overly warm skin
If you have several or even one of the above symptoms, it’s important to get your thyroid checked. You can do so right here at Flow Natural Health Care.
Holistic solutions for hyperthyroidism
The proper solution for hyperthyroidism can only be found when the right cause has been identified. However, there are dietary measures anyone can take once diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. These include:
- Eating more whole foods and cutting back on processed foods.
- Enjoying fresh green juices from veggies like kale and spinach.
- Adding bone broth to one’s diet.
- Including anti-inflammatory herbs in their meals.
- Avoiding dairy, gluten, sugar, and artificial foods/flavorings.
There are other measures you can take if you have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, including using essential oils, taking vitamins, and supplementing with a variety of herbs.
The first step in treating either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism is understanding why the condition exists. Schedule an appointment here at Flow Natural Health Care today and find out how we can assist you in resolving your thyroid or other health issue.