Here are some gluten, nightshade, and dairy free recipes to help with the Thanksgiving menu planning. Adjust the recipes as you see fit for your taste buds. These have been tried and tested in my household for years now. I will be posting them in sections. Don’t forget to check out the numerous gluten-free blogs that are full of tasty and creative recipes.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
2 cups Rice Bread crumbs or other gluten free bread (Dry bread in oven at 200° F, then cut into small chunks or crush)
¼ cup finely diced celery
¼ cup finely diced onions
Oil (use a high heat oil- coconut, walnut etc)
Salt & pepper to taste
½ tsp poultry seasoning or to taste
Chicken or vegetable broth
Sauté onions and celery in butter till soft -add bread crumbs and seasonings, stir together and add a small amount of chicken/vegetable broth to moisten bread. Bread crumbs should be on the dryer side if you are stuffing the turkey. Add just enough broth for bread crumbs to stick together. If you are cooking the stuffing in a casserole dish (outside of the turkey) add more chicken broth to moisten the bread crumbs.
2 ½ tbsp oil
½ pound mushrooms – the more variety the better. Sliced.
3 tbsp gluten- free flour (Bob’s Gluten Free mix will work great. White or brown rice flour, buckwheat are all good options as well).
2 cups vegetable broth (or turkey juices)
¼ tsp thyme
¼ tsp salt (or salt substitute)
Pepper & poultry seasoning to taste
– Sauté mushrooms in oil until softened.
– Add vegetable broth to skillet (or use the turkey juices).
– Slowly add the gluten-free flour and whisk vigorously until smooth.
– Add spices and cook for 3-5 minutes.
– Serve warm.
Pumpkin Pie (This is gluten, dairy & egg free and low fat!)
2 cups gluten-free oats, buckwheat flakes or quinoa flakes
¼ cup honey
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamon
¼ cup & 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
– Preheat oven to 400°F
– Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
– Add honey and melted coconut oil in small amounts, mixing well between additions.
– When completely incorporated press into a standard pie pan.
– Bake for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown.
1 package Mori-nu Lite tofu (Extra firm). This is the tofu found in a box on the shelves (not in the refrigerated section).
2 cups canned or cooked pumpkin
2/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice OR the next 5 ingredients:
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp cardamon
¾ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
– Blend tofu in a food processor until smooth.
– Add pumpkin and blend until smooth and well mixed.
– Add remaining ingredients.
– Pour into baked pie crust.
– Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes (or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean).
By Marsha Hamilton